Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Started Early Took My Dog

  If you want a really terrific, complete review of Scottish writer Kate Atkinson's latest Jackson Brodie mystery, check out this review from last week's New York Times Book Review.

I couldn't say it any better myself so I won't even try.

Besides, the book is overdue at my library and has a zillion others waiting, so I'll make this brief. Check out one of my prior posts here if you don't know these books. Gentle reminder: Read the books in order for maximum enjoyment.



Book 1- Case Histories
Book 2- One Good Turn
Book 3- When Will There Be Good News?





Here are a few places I stickie-noted because they made me laugh and made me sigh. She's such a terrific writer.

(Jackson's observation)
In the half century of his life, a tick on the Doomsday Clock, he had borne witness to the most unbelievable technological advances. He had started off listening to an old Bush valve radio in the corner of the living room and now he had a phone in his hand on which he could pretend to throw a scrunched-up piece of paer into a waste bin. The world had waited a long time for that.

(Tracy describing a scene.)
It took Tracy a second or two to realize that she was trying to flirt with Arkwright. She was deluded. It was like trying to flirt with a wardrobe.

(Jackson and his dog on the run.)
He didn't want to incur the wrath of his hostess for the night by waking her from her beauty sleep. She needed all she could get.

And if you're curious, like I was, the title comes from an Emily Dickinson poem, which you can read in its entirety by clicking here.

2 comments:

Ivy said...

I am interested in this book, but can't read the review b/c I don't have a NYT account. Can you cut and paste it into your blog? With full credit of course. :) I don't know if there are copyright laws against that, so I'll also see if it's on my NYT iphone app, but I doubt it.

Augusta Scattergood said...

I just posted the link to my Facebook page, for those friends of mine who can't get the blog link to work. Also found another by Janet Maslin and posted it.

You'd think I was getting a kickback from Kate Atkinson.☺

But my friend Julie just emailed this comment, so I'm not alone in loving these books:

have just started listening to Case Histories. Almost every sentence is a gem - simply LOVE her writing.