Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Reading and Watching

Today was the first ACC Tournament game for my beloved Tarheels. Love, love, love the team this year. I'm amazed to think about how many seasons we've spent in front of the TV watching great teams and ok teams since Jay and I graduated from Chapel Hill. From our student days when we'd sneak into Dr. Fogle's class late, having stood in line to get our tickets, right up to now, we've never not cheered on the basketball teams. Those years in the early 80s when I'd watch with my next-door neighbors, Paula and Charlie. Then the fun games with Nonie and Brooke at their house in Summit. Nonie's daughter's friends claimed it was as much fun watching us watch the 'heels as it was watching the game. Brooke still leaves the TV if they get down by the slightest of margins. All his fault if they're losing, yessireee!

Today I kept getting distracted from the game --pretty hard for me to do-- by a book I'd just picked up at the library. Laurie Halse Anderson's newest YA page-turner, Twisted. I mean, there's no way that book was written by a non-teenaged boy! She really nailed the characters, all of them. Hannah, the perfect rendition of a kid sister/ h.s. freshman. And Tyler. Wow is all I can say.

But of course, I did read mostly during commercials. Had to support the Carolina Blue!

No comments: