Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hooray for A.L.A!

What hard work it must be to read all those fabulous books, discuss endlessly, pick one over another. But it must also be fun.

Congrats to all the winners, runners-up, and list makers for this year's Rock Star Awards, aka the American Library Association's Newbery, Caldecott, Coretta Scott King, Printz, etc etc etc.

Here's the big list:  AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION AWARDS

Don't miss one of my favorite writers and people, the new winner of the Coretta Scott King Award, ANDREA DAVIS PINKNEY. 

I'm happy to report that the winner of the Newbery this year, Katherine Applegate, is one of the nicest writers I've ever met. We sat together at Anderson's Bookstore last winter when I did one of my very first book signings. (Her line was a tad longer than mine! But we had such fun.)

CLICK HERE for a short interview.

Click here for Monica Edinger's excellent explanation of what goes into the process.   TOP TEN THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT THE NEWBERY. 

This should be required reading before anybody comments on what the award is all about. And what it's not.


I was totally excited to find my signed copy of  THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN, buried beneath another book or two.
And now it's famous.






2 comments:

Shannon Hitchcock ~ Children's Writer said...

I had not heard of THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN before it won the Newbery. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

PragmaticMom said...

Lucky you! Signed copy of The One and Only Ivan? That's a collectible! First edition, right?