Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, August 8, 2014

Solving the Problems of the World Through Literature...

Or not.

I've had such great talks with kids about my book. Some of their questions about GLORY BE, about the 60s, about integration, even about my opinions, have blown me away.

Still, I feel very strongly that writers shouldn't set out to solve the problems of the world in a book. Or to teach young readers all the answers. That's not why I write. But if a book's topic relates to something going on in a child's life, in her school, on a sports team, make that connection. Just understand that the author probably didn't sit down one day and say "Hmmm, let's teach kids to be nicer to each other."

In a good book, it just happens that way.

For tips on the topic, especially as your younger child begins a new school year,
check out this article from Scholastic via Parent and Child.

I've probably only written about this one time, an interview with Children's Literature Network, linked HERE:

http://www.childrensliteraturenetwork.org/magazine/whats-right/given-illumination/

Of course, I know writers look for ways to connect their books to kids, teachers, parents. But a good book stands on its own. No preaching necessary!
The connections, when they are made, happen magically- or so it seems.


Opinions are welcome. That's what the comment box is for.

2 comments:

Rosi said...

I loved the interview on the Children's Literature Network and especially the quote from Madeleine L'Engle. We all need to be reminded, "No preaching necessary." Thanks.

Augusta Scattergood said...

I think so many writers who aren't familiar with great children's books assume they are meant to teach a lesson. IMO, nothing could be further from the truth.