Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, June 12, 2017

IMWAYR

It's MONDAY and what am I reading, you ask?

Some people don't understand how I can read <MANY> books at the same time.

Clearly, those people are not librarians. Or teachers.

I can juggle books with the best of the best.

Right now I'm reading the (so far) excellent YA novel SALT TO THE SEA.
I've always been a fan of World War II books. This one is multi-POV and a different setting from others I've read and I love it.

I am reading the e-book, downloaded via my local library's website, and I'm also on the waiting list for the audiobook. The wise and wonderful Teri Lescene mentioned it (I think) at her talk about recommended books at the Kaigler Book Festival at the University of Southern Mississippi this spring. Or maybe she or her partner-in-reading Karin Perry posted on Facebook or tweeted how great the audiobook is. I rarely both listen and read the actual book, but I'm going to give this one a try. As soon as I finish the words on the page. The page of my Kindle, that is.



I have an ARC of Nancy Cavanaugh's new novel which I started before we began our trek northward, and I'm looking forward to dipping back into this fun book later today.





I'm also reading an adult novel which is intriguing and not at all what I'd normally pick up. But I adore Monica Wood's writing tips and I even blogged about her fun, funky craft books, POCKET MUSE (one and two) on a group blog I once wrote for.  So I'm reading her new novel, recommended to me by a random stranger standing in front of the New Books shelf at my public library. That happens a lot- perfect strangers connecting at the library.






I'm also re-reading at least two writing craft books.

A lovely screened porch in a little cottage on Maryland's Eastern Shore is the perfect place to read. We're visiting, away from the distractions of my house, not cooking much, no weeds to worry about or errands that need running. I'm in reading heaven.

I hope your summer reading is the same!

Check out some of the other Monday Readers, linked HERE 
and also HERE.

Tell me, what are you reading?




8 comments:

Linda B said...

I liked Salt To The Sea very much, a fascinating story that was new to me. What a challenge and tragedy for those trying to escape! Thanks for the other titles, Augusta. Both new to me, and look good! Enjoy "all" that reading!

Michele Knott said...

I'm looking forward to the new Nancy Cavanaugh, too! Hoping to grab a copy at ALA! Happy reading :)

Cheriee Weichel said...

I wept buckets while reading Salt to the Sea. Such a powerful book!
Thanks for the heads up about Elsie Mae. I've just requested it from Netgalley. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Oh no, on the weeping buckets- But I can tell already Salt to the Sea if very powerful.
I love Nancy Cavanaugh's books. This one is quite different from her others.
Thx for stopping by to comment!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

I LOVED Salt to the Sea - what a powerful story. Riveting, too. Fun to see you reading it. XO

Jana The Teacher said...

I've had Salt to the Sea sitting in my Kindle for some time! Thanks for reminding me about it! Have a great week!

Ricki Ginsberg at Unleashing Readers said...

I hope you love Salt to the Sea! It is one of my favorites!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, everybody, for your comments. I finished SALT TO THE SEA last night. What a story! And as somebody who researches a lot before I write (even though I don't always use every bit of it), I was AMAZED at all that research. Her website says she's hard at work on a new novel. Can't wait to hear more.