Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, August 27, 2018

My MONDAY READING: Barbara O'Connor and Kristin O'Donnell Tubb

 It's Monday, my favorite book sharing day!



 Tomorrow lots of things happen. Okay, voting. Let's all get out and vote!

But also, it's the birthday of two of my favorite middle-grade novels of the year.

My friend, Barbara O'Connor's newest book, WONDERLAND.

And a book I've had a lot of fun reading and figuring out, THE STORY COLLECTOR by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb.





(Sharing my favorite photo from recent Facebook posts. Barbara loves dogs!)

WONDERLAND is told from several points of view, including the retired racing greyhound pictured on the cover. Barbara has that illusive thing called "voice" nailed, in all her books. But to write from that many different characters' voices? My friends, you need a special talent and a lot of skill to pull that off. 

This one's a winner! 

Barbara O'Connor is the champion of Author Visits. She'll be doing a bunch of them to celebrate her newest book, but if your school isn't one of the lucky visits, contact her via her website to see about bringing her to you. 

Teachers and librarians, she has some truly excellent tips for hosting an author, HERE.



HERE'S A LINK to various places to buy the book.
You can also read the first chapter and see some great reviews. 
I'll add my two-cents worth. This is a super book to read aloud. So many things to discuss in all of Barbara's books. 


My second book recommendation on this glorious Monday? 
THE STORY COLLECTOR.



Okay, I'm a former librarian who loves to visit the New York Public Library. So the bits about raising pigeons on the roof, snooping around after hours, climbing up a card catalog drawer by drawer, tickled me a lot. I love a good mystery, and I know kids do, too. Historical fiction's also my thing. This book was a total win for me, and I bet for lots of middle-grade teachers, librarians, and their readers.

Betsy Bird, former children's librarian at the NYPL, wrote a great piece for School Library Journal. HERE'S THE LINK. 

I couldn't possibly say it better than Betsy.

If I still lived near NYC, I would find a young reader to take to this event. Can you imagine your book having its own scavenger hunt at the New York Public Library?  
 Check it out HERE.  

There are a whole lot of other fun activities listed on Kristin's blog- including a launch party at what must surely be a totally cool bookstore, Parnassus Books. (My goal is to visit one day!)
(I bet you can call ahead and pre-order a signed copy.)

 

What say you, fellow #IMWAYRers? I know you've been busy this week, but for those of you savoring the last days of summer with a book, I can't wait to hear what you're reading.






9 comments:

Barbara O'Connor said...

Thanks so much, dear friend!

Cheriee Weichel said...

My library has Wonderland on order and I am first in line. It feels like I have been waiting forever for this book!

Linda B said...

Both books are on my list. I'm sure they will be wonderful. And Yes, it would be awesome to have a scavenger hunt at the NYC library. Thanks for sharing, Augusta.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I am VERY MUCH looking forward to both of these books. Thanks for sharing!

Hallie said...

Awww the Story Collector sounds so adorable! Thank you for sharing! Here's my week in reading

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

That event sounds like so much fun!! Oh, how I've dreamed of visiting the New York Public Library - it's a library-lover's dream! One day!!

Earl said...

I just read a picture booka bout NYPL and we just got in these 2 books for the store.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone! And have a great reading week.
Good luck to all of you starting school next week. I know your students will be so excited to read all the books you'll share with them.

Carol Baldwin said...

Have heard good things about both these books!