Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Historical fiction lives!

And we know this because of THE SURVEY just posted by my friend Caroline Starr Rose.

Here's what she concluded:

Historical fiction is still seen as meaningful.
While it might be a “hard sell,” historical fiction isn’t dead! Many adults are sharing titles with young people. Many kids are reading.

I've been reading historical fiction most of my life. Come to think of it, even the stories I heard growing up were probably mostly fiction and definitely historical. 

These are the books I cut my reading teeth on. We thought they were true! Even librarians classified them as biographies. No longer. Now most agree- there's a whole lot of storytelling going on in the Childhood of Famous Americans series.

(I've never seen these early editions. The titles haven't changed, 
but the ones I read were mostly turquoise!)

Don't forget to click on the link to Caroline's blog up there. 
It's a very interesting survey. 
 
So, what do you think? Is historical fiction dead? Do kids still read the genre?

3 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks for sharing this, Augusta. I'm saving Caroline's link for when I need to "justify" my work!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Hey, you! Thanks for sharing!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thank you, Caroline, for doing the work and sharing the info. And yes, Carol, I bet we'll all have a reason to revisit this.