Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, November 11, 2019

Books! Books! Books!

And hey, it's Monday!
I can join the IT'S MONDAY, WHAT ARE YOU READING gang.




I've been thinking about Boy v. Girl books. I don't like that division but I'm willing to admit that there are some girls and some boys who like certain types of books better than others. Often, publishers push this with their cover designs.

But recently at our monthly workshop for the Tampa Bay area SCBWI group (The subject matter of the workshop taught so well by Nancy Stewart was Genre Jumping. We explored ways to connect your books and keep your readers, even if the books are different genres or sub-genres.), somebody asked if it was okay to write a boy character if you're female. And vice versa.

I can't imagine a hard and fast rule about this.
Having read many books written by male authors, with female protagonists, that I loved, I don't want to restrict this, not even a little bit.
(Hello, The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise! Written by a guy!) 

The best book I read this week might seem to lean toward being a boy-ISH book. 
I don't think so! Such a good book- for anybody!
ON THIN ICE.  
Loved Esme, the female supporting character, written by a guy of course. (She has a clever connection to the story. Excellent plotting!)
Some of the many things I loved about ON THIN ICE:
1. It's funny. The main character has so many issues-- physical, emotional, family-related, school problems. But he pretty much keeps his sense of humor through everything. 
2. It's fast-paced. I have a ton of admiration for writers who know how to do this.
3. The cover is totally cool. 





Another novel I finished last week that took me by surprise. Mostly because I knew so little, really nothing, about the history behind it.
Here's a bit of the review I wrote for UNDER THE BROKEN SKY by Mariko Nagai.




Natsu lives on a farm in Manchuria where she and her young sister are lovingly cared for by their father. But when he’s conscripted into the Japanese army and the Soviets occupy their country, Natsu and Asa must make a grueling escape. The 1945 Soviet occupation and the loss of  the woman who’s cared for them create an unbearable situation, and the older sister sells Asa to a Russian woman. A detailed Afterword enhances this period in history and the resulting refugee experience.
I suspect this story will be new to young readers and to many adults. Suggested for ages 10-14. 

I'm rereading LIZZIE BRIGHT AND THE BUCKMINSTER BOY by Gary Schmidt. Everything he writes astounds me. I'm wowed by his perfect use of "close first" person. A POV I really love but man, is it hard to write well!
 
For the first time in eons, I read a bunch of PICTURE BOOKS. 
All so very good. More on these soon.




Grownup books I've been reading:
New to me, author Ann Cleeves's RAVEN BLACK. Because I'm still on a British detective/ mystery kick and I'm getting in the proper mindset for the new Starz series, Dublin Murders based on the books by Tana French. 
Also, THE LAST ROMANTICS for a book club. Jury is out on this one. A fast read, but I saw the plot twist coming a mile away. Hate when that happens...


And now it's time to scurry around all the fun IT'S MONDAY WHAT ARE YOU READING POSTS, which you can find and link to HERE.

7 comments:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I have On Thin Ice on my TBR list, but Under the Broken Sky is brand new to me and I was completely captivated by your description, Augusta. I'm definitely adding this one to my list and will start looking for it today. Thank you for sharing!

Augusta Scattergood said...

I would LOVE to send you my copy. The publisher sent it for review. It's more on the upper side of MG but if you can use it, message me your address and I'll mail it to you. (I'll say this on a twitter message also. :) )

Linda B said...

I do have both books you shared on my list, Augusta, but there are so many ahead of them! You've made them sound very good, so I will remember! I love Gary Schmidt's books too. His latest, Pay Attention Carter Jones, is a favorite this year, but I've loved every one. Thank you!

Sue Jackson said...

I completely agree - why limit authors to certain genders? Think of all the amazing books that wouldn't exist if that were the case. And you have written some wonderful male characters yourself, like Billy Wong.

I also agree re: Gary Schnmidt - he is amazing! I loved Okay for Now - it was my middle-grade AND audio book of the year the year I listened to it. I need to read more of his novels.

Enjoy your books this week -

Sue

Book By Book

Cheriee Weichel said...

Thanks for the reminder about Under the Broken Sky. I wish my library would hurry up and bring it in.

A while ago I heard an woman author talk about writing with a young boy as the main character. Her publisher had asked for a story about a young boy growing up on the prairie. She ended up writing the book with a young girl as the main character and then at the end, just changed the name and pronouns. When she sent it into the editor and publisher, they claimed that she had perfectly captured the essence of a young boy. Go figure eh?

Rosi said...

On Thin Ice sounds terrific. I will look for it. Under the Broken Sky sounds just heartbreaking. Not sure I could get through it. I love Gary D. Schmidt and Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy is one of my favorites of his. I just finished two sweet chapter books by Helen Peters -- A Pig Called Truffles and A Duckling Called Button. It is the beginning of what will be a fun series for that age. I also just finished The Butterfly Girl by Rene Denfeld, an adult mystery, that is one of the best books I've ever read. The writing is gorgeous, but the story will break your heart. I have Tana French's In the Woods on the top of my TBR pile for the reason you mentioned. So many books . . . Thanks for the post.

Augusta Scattergood said...

OH my gosh, Cheriee- I LOVE this story. Go figure is right!