Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, February 17, 2020

Monday Reading

Again, I've been lax.

I read a lot of books and forget to blog about them. If it weren't for
#IMWAYR, I'd probably never remember what all I've read.

BUT this has been a great week for reading Middle-grade Fiction.

First off, a book from a writer whose books I admire so much. Susan Hill Long writes funny, she writes poignant, she writes adventure and she writes books with true heart.

This one just came out and I predict kids will love it. Publisher's Weekly agrees.


Yes, there's a baseball subplot going on. And this is my favorite time of year to read baseball-related novels. But oh that Josie! How I love her.


I also just I finished an ARC, sent by the publisher. (Pubbing early March, thank you FSG!)

I was interested in this novel because I know a woman with Turner Syndrome, and have known her most of her life. But I've never read much about it and certainly not a middle-grade book.



WHAT STARS ARE MADE OF is a debut novel by Sarah Allen. The writer has Turner Syndrome and the book felt very authentic about the disorder. Libby, the 12-year-old narrator isn't so great at making friends or knowing the right thing to say and I loved how the author developed an unusual friendship between Libby and a new girl in her class. The story moves quickly along, and the narrator is definitely a character kids will relate to.
In the publicity material I received along with the book, the author quotes C.S. Lewis: "We read to know that we are not alone." So true.


Another Advance Reader Copy I was privileged to read is Rebecca Stead's newest

THE LIST OF THINGS THAT WILL NOT CHANGE.

Thank you, NetGalley!

The book's publishing in April, 2020.  I'm a huge fan of Stead's, and I bet a lot of kids will love her new book.
Two dads, a loving mom who's in the picture, a big blended family, a kid with all sorts of fun things in her life, a wedding and a lot of good things to eat.  :)

And of course, she's worried that her world will change with her new family.


Here's the starred review from Publishers Weekly.
I'm sure many more will follow, or maybe already have.
Plus, love that cover, don't you?

In my grownup reading world, I finished and enjoyed another Ann Cleeves book and I'm reading my second detective/ thriller/ mystery by another Brit, Mick Heron. My guilty pleasure/ nighttime reading.

I also read a ghost story, something I don't do often. It kept me awake at night, so think I'll avoid that genre.

Can't wait to hear all the book recommendations from my It's Monday What Are You Reading? pals!


7 comments:

Linda B said...

I know about the new Stead book, so looking forward to it. Thanks for the others, too, new ones to me, Augusta. My older granddaughter plays softball & I imagine she will like the one about baseball.

Cheriee Weichel said...

This is a fabulous list of book Augusta. I am green with envy over The List of Things That Will Not Change. I asked for it from Netgalley, but it wasn't available. At least my library has it on hold! I love how educated we become by reading children's books. I went and looked up turner syndrome to see what it is. I agree that it's so important to know that we are not alone. Even as an adult reading MG titles, I'm always excited when I can make a personal connection and see my younger self in the mirror of the book. i loved your description of Susan Hill Long's writing. Will add that one to the list too!

Rosi said...

Wow. Lots of good books to see here! If you like British mysteries, there is a link on my blog this week you will really enjoy. Thanks for the post.

Michele Knott said...

I just put the Josie Bloom book on hold! I have Susan's first novel but haven't read it yet. I remember people raving about it when it first published so I bought it, just need to read it still!
I have the Stead book to read as well!

Kellee said...

I have not read any of these yet, but I am looking forward to all three! I have Stars to read and will soon, but I need to get my hands on the other two.

Happy reading this week :)

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks for all the comments. It's so much fun sharing books with all you book-lovers! And now I'm clicking over to Rosi's blog to see her British mystery post. :)

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I really do love that cover of The List of Things That Will Not Change!! I've been looking forward to this one and hope I won't have to wait longer than usual. Thanks for all these shares, Augusta!