Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, December 7, 2020

MONDAY READING

 


It's been a very long time since I posted any IT'S MONDAY! WHAT ARE YOU READING? reviews. 

 But that doesn't mean I haven't been reading.

Hats way off to my teacher and librarian friends who've managed to read, review, and blog about so many books.

Two middle-grade novels stand out in my reading month. The first is a novel told in two voices by my friend Shannon Hitchcock and her co-writer, N.H. Senzai, FLYING OVER WATER. I bought this one at their launch party, complete with a signed bookplate. (I think you can get the same by checking with our fabulous local independent bookstore, TOMBOLO BOOKS in St. Petersburg, FL.) I bought it for a young reader who's a competitive swimmer and I've already mailed it off so I can't quote from it, but it was a very fast-moving story, with excellent depictions of real kids. The Florida middle-grader in the book (Shannon's voice) is a swimmer whose family supports a newly-arrived Muslim family, refugees from Aleppo. The telling feels real, it's fast-moving, and the background of the 2017 immigration restrictions takes the story even deeper. 

The second fascinating, couldn't-wait-to-read Middle Grade novel finished this week is by a favorite author, Shelley Pearsall. I've read a couple of her other books and heard this one recommended by lots of bloggers and readers. THINGS SEEN FROM ABOVE lived up to the hype! 

Such an unusual and interesting topic. Lots of Food for Thought and character growth and the kids mostly turn out to be just fine. There are two voices in this one also, but Pearsall writes them both. The two characters interact, mostly on the playground, as April fulfills her duties as Buddy Bench volunteer. JoeyByrd (his preferred way of signing his name) is a fascinating kid with much to teach his classmates. I particularly loved the school maintenance guy, Mr. Ulysses. And April's new friend, Veena, from the Buddy Bench, who started out as a shy newcomer and found her way and a friendship. Shelley Pearsall has the perfect touch with her secondary characters. My copy gets returned to our library today where I hope it will be snatched up by a young reader.



I was assigned a Winter Round-Up of picture books by the Christian Science Monitor so I got to read a few picture books these past few months, something I don't do often enough. My reviews are HERE

One wasn't exactly a picture book but I fudged my assignment and sneaked in a book I loved, suitable for younger kids. :)Hey, it had wonderful illustrations and I was absolutely delighted by the words, too. Have you read Amy Timberlake's SKUNK AND BADGER? Yes, that Amy Timberlake, the one who's written mostly for older kids. 


 

 Also included in that round-up was SWASHBY AND THE SEA. Yes, it has a summer feeling (if you don't live in Florida, like I do, you might not think of beach books in December).  But the twist near the end made me smile and the book has so much going on in so few pages that I think young kids will love hearing this one read aloud.

 

 

Enjoy December, everybody! 

Buy lots of books for everyone you love. Happy reading!

6 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

It's good to see that you have been reading. Reviewing picture books is hard, but you did a great job. Did really enjoy Senzai and Hitchcock's Flying over Water. I'm liking the dual narratives we're seeing from authors with two different cultural backgrounds. Interesting that it has been mainly women writers who are collaborating!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Ms. Yingling- such an interesting observation. Almost all the dual POV books I can think of are women authors. Could it be that we're more collaborative? :) Hadn't really thought about this. I thought Flying Over Water authors did an excellent job, plot-wise, of weaving the two girls' stories together.

Linda B said...

I've read the two picture books & enjoyed them a lot, Augusta. Thanks for sharing these two chapter books. I've noted both & they are new to me. Yes, it does seem like only women collaborating but I read Becoming Muhammed Ali & shared last week, by Patterson & Alexander, so I know one pair of two men who have. It was great, too. Thanks for all!

Cheriee Weichel said...

Some of these are already on my list and now I will be looking forward to them even more. Not only is Skunk and Badger on my list, I have a hold on it at my local library.

Rosi said...

I've read Flying Over Water, Things Seen From Above, and Skunk and Badger. I love them all. Nice to see you are getting so much reading done. That's what keeps me going these days. Thanks for the post.

Michele Knott said...

I have Skunk and Badger in my pile, I've heard so many good things about it. Flying Over Water is also in my pile. It's one I received early and hoped to get to it, but those books pile up so quickly, don't they?! Looking forward to some reading time soon.