Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, April 18, 2021

The Year in my Journal, and Facebook...

I know, I know. Some of you are not fans of Facebook. And I get that. 

But I love the memories I get every day. Today Facebook reminded me that on this date in 2016, my friend Eileen Harrell, artist and designer extraordinaire, re-did my blog title and graphic. 

Maybe I should pay more attention to that blog.

Even though the posts have been few and far between this Quarantine Year, I have kept a journal. Call it my Covid Journal.

It's a very special book. A gift at NCTE 2016, from our panel's moderator, the brilliant and great and all-around fun guy, Patrick Allen. 

 


He presented blank journals to all the #TrueFriends, Sue Long, Kirby Larson, Barbara O'Connor and me. 

 

                (Here we all are! In Atlanta! Having a great time talking about books.)

 

I loved my journal. I'm bad about saving things I love. Saving them for "someday."

Why? I asked myself as I searched my box of journals for the blank pages to remember this year with, March 2020. Someday is now!

Don't you think I chose the perfect book?

 Page ONE- My sticker from Sarah Frances Hardy. She designed a whole packet of these. She's such a fun illustrator!


        A very recent entry. Though many of my days featured HAIR as an issue...)


My best friend forever had so many fascinating fun things she learned and did during Covid. We formed a group of three, called ourselves The Quarantiners, and we texted almost daily. She sent me this, from one of her many projects.

 

And then, a vaccine at last.


Did anybody else keep a journal during Quarantine? Did your kids? Your students? 

I don't know if anybody but me will ever see this. It's not exactly filled with earthshaking nuggets of brilliance. But for now, almost every page is full, and I may just keep it forever.



 




4 comments:

Sue Long said...

Love this! I've kept a journal of sorts (and I LOVED my very special journal from the wonderful Patrick Allen!). My daughter has made a lot of art this year. Both my daughters have made a lot of decisions. They've both remarked on the strange and unexpected gifts this year has offered up along with its obvious horrors and painful awakenings. And as of yesterday my fam is fully vaccinated.

Rosi said...

That is a pretty journal. I have hardly written a word through this pandemic, much less kept a journal. Good for you for doing it.

Carol Baldwin said...

I've had an on and off again journal, funny, I didn't think to write about Covid. Not sure what that says (or doesn't say) about me. Anyway, glad, as always to see you back in cyberspace!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, everybody. Glad to be dipping a toe back into the blog water, so to speak.

Sue- love thinking of your daughters and their unexpected gifts. What a year it's been!