Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

3 Sweaters...

The good thing about travel delays is that I can lose myself in a good book. When you fly in and out of Newark, mostly standing by, hoping to get on the next flight somewhere, you have lots of reading time.

On my trip South to visit family this New Year's, I read detective fiction- pure escape. But on the trip to New Jersey today, I finally let myself read my Christmas gift to myself-- Stewart O'Nan's Songs for the Missing. So far, all I can say is WOW. I'd been saving it, having heard such great things about this novel that I wanted to read it carefully, without airport distractions, but there I was, on a delay in Baltimore, stuck in the terminal with only one book. Fortunately, the writing is exquisite. So far, I'm loving this book. More on this one later.


So now I'll put on another sweater-- my comfort zone has narrowed since moving to Florida for most of the year-- turn up the thermostat a degree or two, and get back to that book.

Here's hoping all of you found the perfect book in your stocking. Leave me a comment and tell me exactly what Santa brought you to read!


2 comments:

Barbara O'Connor said...

I just added this to my GoodReads list.

It's adult fiction, right?

Augusta Scattergood said...

Yes, adult fiction. However, I think this could turn into one of those crossover YA books. But I'm still reading and will report in later! Did you read Last Night at the Lobster, his previous book?