Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A New Book Review

Just today, published in the Christian Science Monitor, is my review of What I Saw and How I Lied. (Why is it so hard to remember that title!)
I've already blogged about book reviewing, but this one's a good example of why you have to read a book more than once before reviewing it. There was a lot of hoopla about this novel. It won the National Book Award for Young People. Teen readers loved it. Many reviewers loved it. And then there's that award...

At first I thought it was heavy-handed with the foreshadowing. And way too film-noirish. Among other criticisms. But that was because I was reading it like an adult-- not its intended market, and I was reading it on an airplane-- not the best spot for analysis. So I reread and rethought and- well, read my review.

1 comment:

Barbara O'Connor said...

Great review! Sounds intriguing.