Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Words, words, words

I do love words, their derivation and usage- and mis-use!
This word-of-the-day is one I've never heard, read, used or even remotely known about. Contumely?
What?

Now I'm thinking of a word that made me smile on a recent cab ride to the airport. With a very loquacious driver. He told me every detail of his 17-year-old daughter's life, including how he was teaching her to drive. He was the better person to teach her because his wife was such a backside driver. That's what he said: backside driver. Now I just love that!

Can't you totally see a character in a book misusing Backseat Driver like that?? He was a great guy, so entertaining. I wanted to write down everything he said.

2 comments:

Teresa at Nanahood said...

Hi there, I ran across your blog and wanted to invite you to stop by mine. I am a mom and grandmother whose blog is about grandparenting (mostly). After reading many of your posts I believe we have a lot in common!

Keep writing!
Teresa

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, Teresa! I'll look forward to visiting your blog.