Breakfast at our local greasy spoon. Heck, can't even call it "local" as we'd never been there and just happened to be driving by. The original Skyway Jack's, so named because it's close to my favorite bridge, opens at 5 AM for the fishermen. By the time we arrived, it was past 8, so the $2.29 breakfast special had ended.
I won't even tell you what we ate. But there was discussion about bringing our Philadelphia and South Jersey friends for the scrapple when they visit this winter.
I might be tempted to return on Tuesday for the special:
Chicken 'n Dumplins
Although I adore Chicken and Dumplings, whether the ones at Skyway Jack's would live up to my expectations, not so sure.
This was a Scene because
1. Parking lot full. Lots of trucks. People milling around smoking outside.
2. Waitresses with potentially offensive teeshirts featuring graphic of fried eggs.
4. Picture hanging on the wall, obviously color-copied from a favorite kids' book: If You Give a Pig a Pancake
(lots of pigs in residence- statues, logos, etc.)
5. Lunch counter full of overeaters
6. The publication, Creative Loafing, available for free on a rack just inside the door.
As you can see, many elements that would potentially jump off a page of fiction.
The seeming inconsistencies! The five senses! The dialogue!
And lastly, the bumper stickers for sale ($1.25 each), for example:
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler.
Hang up and drive.
Work is for people who don't know how to fish.
Grow your own dope. Plant a man.
When I die, bury me at Walmart so my wife will visit me.
What a way to start the weekend. Hope yours is filled with delectable dining experiences.