Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Things I Love

Figs! 
For so many reasons.

And when I can't get to my sister's to pick her figs and the New Jersey Farmers' Markets just sold their only basket, I have these ceramic beauties my daughter brought me from her summer studying in Florence.

Her cousin showed us the shop. I bought two. But they are heavy-ish, and we pack light in our family. So imagine my surprise when my daughter came home with more figs--and even two peaches--  for my birthday that year.

They live in the bowl I gave my mother the spring my husband and I lived in California.
It's mine now.

Many things to love in this picture.


Here's a funny (I hope) blast from the past about My Great Fig Fiasco, my first blog post ever on the Southern Writers Blog: A Good Blog is Hard to Find.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fig memories....two for the birds, one for you...I remember my daddy saying that. It was true too!
How I miss those fresh figs...& fig preserves on hot buttered biscuits....SWEET childhood memories!

Lee Stokes Hilton said...

I loved that essay the first time, and it still does it for me.

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

I love figs too. Had a fresh one off the bush this year already. Must have been an early variety.

My mom has a later variety. Her bush is loaded and I keep watching them!

Augusta Scattergood said...

I love the "two for the birds" comment. And is that ever true!
If only I had a hot buttered biscuit right about now.
Thanks for your comments.