Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

HOOKED

"A story is movement from stability to instability to new stability." 
Les Edgerton, HOOKED.


 Did I mention "More to Come" from our fabulous Miami SCBWI event?

(While you're thinking about SCBWI, check out Fred Koehler's ILLUSTRATED wrap-up, HERE.)


One of my favorite, helpful, fabulous moments was the workshop with Sara Pennypacker. On her website, she lists her favorite writing books:



I happen to own one of the three she shared with us last Sunday in Miami: Scene & Structure, a Writer's Digest Book by Jack M. Bickham.



And my friend Teddie was willing to lend me another:  
HOOKED by Les Edgerton.

So guess what I did yesterday? 
Borrowed and reread that one.
 




A bit from an earlier post on that book:

1. An overview about opening scenes and what's important included this reminder-
"Take time to craft not only the first sentence, but the rest of the opening...For gosh sakes, don't pair adjectives in an attempt to make the description more powerful. The rule of thumb with adjectives is that with each additional one, the power is halved, not doubled..."

2.The chapter on characters suggests "beginning with an out-of-the-ordinary character... can instantly pique the reader's interest."
(My question- is this a good plan for kids' novels? Or should we soundly establish the point-of-view character first?)

3. "A great first line buys you a lot of points" with editors and agents.
But we all know that, don't we...

Enough reading about writing. Now, let's get to it!

No comments: