Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS

I'm way behind in my adult novels To Be Read list.
To whoever recommended this one, thank you and I'm sorry I didn't get to it a year ago when you raved.

A perfect vacation read, THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS is written by M.L. Stedman, an Australian living in London. 
Click to read that the novel's ->  ->
Coming soon to the movies!


The book is about many things I love: lighthouses, families, World War I. 

For a terrific interview about writing the book, click here:

As I turned the pages quickly (because it was that kind of story- hey Oprah likes it too!), I was reminded of writing advice I recently read on Janice Hardy's blog about creating conflict:

2. Offer an impossible choice

Choices move the plot, but impossible choices make the protagonist work for it. When there’s no clear answer, and both choices have terrible consequences, readers know something about the story is going to change and the stakes are going up–two solid ways to keep readers hooked. 


To read the rest of her tips, CLICK HERE.

Without spoiling the novel for those of you who haven't read it, Stedman is quite good at that impossible choice thing. 

Anything else I shouldn't miss reading this summer, which will be gone when I blink fast?








2 comments:

Rosi said...

This sounds like a great summer read. I will try to check it out. If you haven't read Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline, you might want to check it out. It's my favorite adult book I've read in the last year.

Augusta Scattergood said...

I've been hearing about ORPHAN TRAIN. Will add it to my list right now. Thanks,Rosi!