Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Secret Hum of a Daisy


 Funny, tiny remarks that still make me smile:

Jo saying, "I come here all the time when it gets warm and film the wildlife, which includes people."

"That's how it had always been with Mama. Taping things up in a way that was easy to take down."
(She used double-sided tape. What a great image.)


First line: All I had to do was walk up to the coffin.

(I'm thinking a lot about First Lines these days. So important!
Re: Richard Peck's talk at Books of Wonder.  And another Richard Peck beginning thought is HERE.)

Won't give away last line but it does refer back to the title. Which I always like. Titles are also tough. I kept forgetting this one while I was reading the book. Afterwards, not so much.

Here's a nice, short review of Tracy Holczer's debut middle-grade novel, via Publisher's Weekly: http://publishersweekly.com/978-0-399-16393-7

I read this one on the advice of an interesting list in the Christian Science Monitor of the best middle-grade books of the year, so far (though truthfully, some are Young Adult in my opinion) HERE.

4 comments:

Margaret Simon said...

I just finished reading "The Secret Hum of a Daisy." I had to hide my tears while I was reading on the plane. Somehow the birth of the horse really got to me, a definite turning point, new life. Holczer piled in the symbolism. How important is this in a young adult book? I love it but I wonder if it is lost on the kids.

Augusta Scattergood said...

I think when kids read a book with their teacher, either as a read-aloud or a class read, they notice things like this, with the help of an adult. I get questions from classes that boggle the mind! 4th and 5th graders read a lot more closely than we would expect. I've been impressed with the things they've picked up.

Linda B said...

I've heard much about this title, The Secret Hum of A Daisy. It's on my list! Thanks for your 'extra' links!

Rosi said...

This is such a moving book. I know readers young and old will enjoy it.