Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Great Beginnings

Today I re-read a truly terrific piece of advice from a blog all Middle-grade writers should have on their radar:
FROM THE MIXED UP FILES. Click this link and you'll be taken there in a blink!

In the numerous comments to Sarah Aronson's fun-to-read, helpful post about beginning sentences, one writer quoted Richard Peck:

He claims he always throws away his first chapter when he finishes his first draft and then  
“writes the chapter that goes at the beginning. Because the first chapter is the last chapter in disguise.”

Richard Peck may be onto something. But now that I've re-written a first paragraph, oh maybe FIFTY times, I don't think I'll throw it out just yet.

But you never know.

3 comments:

Theodora "Teddie" said...

Thanks for the connection to Sarah Aronson's post about first sentences.

We writers spend so much time on that first line, first pargraph and page. Rightly so, when there is so much riding on that first impression.

Regarding the three examples Aronson used: I wonder how much time those writers spent on the lines and if any of the writers came up with the lines spontaneously? It could happen.

Carol Baldwin said...

I feel your pain--about rewriting ad nauseum! I think I'm about to start on a MAJOR, MAJOR revision of my WIP. Will take a look at the link. thanks.

Augusta Scattergood said...

At least we all have each other- Spontaneous beginnings- now that would be a great comfort!
Thanks for your comments, Teddie and Carol.