Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Celebrity Guest

That would be me. At least, if you take the word of Ms. Casey's 4th graders. She was a winner of a GLORY BE Advanced Readers Copy. I popped in yesterday to say hello to her brilliant students.
They don't know me. They didn't know I was going to be there. They have not read the book. But I felt like a celebrity when I presented them with the book.

Here is why I think they are brilliant:

1. I packaged the book with ribbon, stars, and stickers. I showed them the stickers (guitars) and told them the book takes place in 1964. I asked if they had a guess about why I'd given them shiny guitar stickers. About 5 hands shot up, all with the right answer: ELVIS!

2. We talked about the cover art. One bright boy nailed it. "Maybe it's about a swimming pool that wouldn't let black people and white people swim at the same time."
Wow.

3. They know a lot about history. They can define historical fiction.
4. They asked amazing questions, and not just whether my name was really mine or not. Though we did talk about pseudonyms and they know the word.

Impressive bunch. This is the huge poster right at the front door.  No wonder they are so brilliant.


5 comments:

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Oh, Augusta, that is FABULOUS! What a great experience! And such amazing and smart kids!

Moe said...

What a neat experience. That was definitely a brilliant group of 4th graders.

Carol Baldwin said...

sounds like it was wonderful!! btw--I was just thinking the other day how I wish I'd won this ARC!

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

It's always gratifying to hear how much students know about reading, writing, and various genres.

I think teachers are doing a marvelous job and could do even more if testing did not cramp their style.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, everybody, for your comments here. Just today, on the blog, I added quotes from the kids. Hilarious!
What fun it is to be in a classroom with bright kids again.