Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, November 6, 2015

Texas!

Thank you, super librarian Dorcas Hand, and also to my friend and former teaching colleague Patti Kiley for arranging such a fun visit with Annunciation Orthodox School in Houston.

I was there for their amazing annual BOOK FAIR, with two other authors, Linda Leblanc and Keith Graves. That's a whole lot of organizing and arranging and book sharing going on. Hats off, Dorcas!

Did I mention the FOOD? Which I'm sorry to say, I didn't document nearly enough! (I'm usually much better with sharing food pictures, and we did eat well.)

My two days, in pictures. Wish I'd taken more!

A Scholastic Book Fair like no other.




Student art work, everywhere I looked.



 It's such fun seeing special books and thinking about their authors!










The parent volunteers worked so hard to make that space eye-catching. In one corner was a reading nook. Sorry I didn't capture in a photo. Every time I turned around, I saw something else I loved!


 





Forgive me for a little librarian nostalgia (for me). 
I got to help move books on a book cart. Hadn't done that in a while, though it used to be an everyday occurrence!





(There was a special table for books to donate to the libraries. Great idea!)


 Always happy to sign books...





Dinner out with teachers at PICOS--http://www.picos.net. 
Delicious! And so many connections made around this table!  

 



I haven't spent a lot of time in Houston. It was very special to connect with old friends. Especially friends who'll take me to see the most fantastic Mark Rothko exhibit at their Museum of Fine Arts.

Thanks, Bobby and Jeannie Moon!





And a trip to Houston wouldn't be complete without a stop at one of my all-time favorite bookstores, just to say hello and check out funny author messages covering their walls! Thanks, Blue Willow Bookshop, for inviting me. Or letting me invite myself. I signed a few books and caught up with old friends.




I'm already excited about a possible trip to San Antonio in the fall. Texas teachers and librarians truly rock!




(only in Texas, right?)


5 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Great pictures, Augusta. Sounds like a fantastic time. Curious about the Blue Willow store. Wrote to them to find out where they got their name, since Blue Willow is in my WIP.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Don't know the answer but I do know it's a delightful spot to spend an afternoon!

Bonnie J. Doerr said...

Wish I'd known this Houston when I lived there! Those folks were blessed and enriched by your visit.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, Bonnie (and I didn't know you'd lived in Houston!).

Alicia Raine said...

You are the best author I have met! Thanks so much for enlightening us with your knowledge!