Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Things I Love

Yes, I know, all that hoopla about creative people working in messy spaces. Those researchers obviously didn't consult anyone who'd wanted to be a librarian since she was in fifth grade.

We recently closed up our place in New Jersey. Packed a few boxes that I couldn't live without. Offloaded some stuff. 
But I don't work well in messes. So I'm delighted to have unpacked THE LAST BOX. And even more delighted with my beautiful new bulletin board. 
Full of things I love (Thanks, Jay!).



You can't read this in the photo, but there's a little corner, bottom left, full of writing advice-- and life advice!-- mostly scribbled while talking to my brilliant editor over these past almost six years we've been together.

Usually we're talking so fast and I'm writing editorial notes and trying to answer thoughtfully and wisely. But even over lunch, she says smart things I want to remember. 

Here are a few from my beautiful blue bulletin board. 
From Andrea and other sage writers and editors.

What's the page turn?
Create oh-my-gosh moments.

I call that the "glittery hand of God."
(from the very first time my new editor and I talked on the phone and I told her about our connections)

Read each chapter and look for small astonishments. (Joyce Sweeney workshop)

You can never go home again, but the truth is you never leave home, so it's all right. 
 (Maya Angelou)


If anybody cares, also pictured is a card from the Rose Window at the National Cathedral sent by a friend, after my daughter's wedding. A photo my brother book of our daddy's fishing camp on Lake Beulah, MS. The Blue Angels. The Eiffel Tower. A beautiful postcard from the Rothko exhibit in Houston (thanks, Kirby). My 2016 Quaker Motto Calendar. A photo from my 4th birthday...

4 comments:

Leslie Davis Guccione said...

Love this & all it represents.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Oh, I love these quotes and your bulletin board, especially "the glittery hand of God". It's real. I'm a witness of that blessing many times. :-) xoxo

Carol Baldwin said...

Enjoyed this glimpse into you and your life. Makes me think I need to create a bulletin board like this for my characters!!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks for stopping by. Next I'm tackling the bookshelf that's packed double-deep. But it is nice to look at the blue and the notes and the things I love!