Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Goodreads

Okay, yeah, I know. Stay away from all those sites that review your book. No good can come of it.
Well, sometimes.

I popped over there just now to see what everybody has to say about a book I just read. THORNHILL. I am so mystified by this story that I don't know what to think. I'm not posting links because, honestly, I don't want to advocate for it, even though I know some middle-grade kids will like being creeped out.  Google if you care. (The New York Times Book Review reviewed it last week.)

But once you look at Goodreads, you can be there a while. I had a comment or two I had to follow up on, and then that led me to this review of MAKING FRIENDS WITH BILLY WONG.  As much as I do not like the rating system when I have to do it to others' books, I do appreciate getting five stars.


More like a 4.5 for the slow start, but I loved this book! I appreciate how the "bad" guy was still the bad guy at the end of the book. I think it could really open up discussion with students about how sometimes people act out or pick on people because things aren't going well in their lives. I like how Billy responded to the hurtful things Willis said. I can't wait to talk this book up with my students. 




(And I can tell you right now, beginnings are crucial. If you don't believe me, check out Dorian Cirrone's excellent blogposts on the subject. I try very hard to start books with a bang. I'll try harder.)

No comments: