Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, February 5, 2018

Happy Birthday, Hank Aaron!

When I first considered a baseball player to add to my story, one my readers could emulate and admire, Henry Louis Aaron didn't immediately come to mind. 

There was a reason for this.
Mickey Mantle is known for his presence in the part of Florida where the book would be set. Books have been written about his escapades here. There are postcards of Mantle, waving from convertibles to legends of adoring fans, back in the day.

I began THE WAY TO STAY IN DESTINY with Mickey as Theo's hero.
Then a wise editor who asked to read an early draft mentioned I might look into a different baseball player. (Thanks, Joy. You probably don't even remember the workshop and the manuscript, but I well remember your editorial comments.)

Hammerin' Hank entered the story after that and he was perfect. I'd lived in Atlanta when he played for the Braves and admired him. He would be a role model for the kids who'd eventually read THE WAY TO STAY IN DESTINY.

So Happy Birthday, today, to HANK AARON, a great man and a perfect fellow to add his story to my book.




1 comment:

Rosi said...

He was a great player and hero to many. He was a good choice.