Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, March 30, 2020

TO BE READ

Today's Monday, though sometimes it's hard to keep up. 
But this is not really a #IMWAYR post. It's more of a It's Monday and I want to Remember What to Read. 
#bookstoread
#TBR
#socialdistancing
#LibbyList
#hunkeringdown

I've seen the word HUNKER used more in the past two weeks than I have in the past two years. (Though, honestly, it never left my vocabulary, but maybe that's a Southern thing.)



So I'm hunkering down and escaping into books.
This is a post to list books everybody's recommending.
Just a list. I'll never read them all!
Possibly I'll be the only person reading the post. It will be messy. I don't really remember where most of these suggestions came from (from whom they came...), but if I do, there's a little note/ name by the book title that will mean nothing to anybody but me. 

I'll keep adding and maybe comment as I read. 

I'm not attempting to pretty it up. Or verify the titles, unless I can't help myself. (All that librarian training and experience may kick in, who knows.)

Some are books to reserve though I've maxed out my Libby reserves. (Thank you public library people for an App for e-books and saving readers during hunkering down times.) 

I'll add links that have really touched me, made me laugh, made me want to read that book! Like these!


Now, here goes my own PANDEMIC BOOKLIST (ouch, that was hard to type, sounds much too light-hearted, but I guess we have to maintain our senses of humor while hunkering).


The first few books on my list were from a social media post by Tracy Winfield Holczer asking for something easy and fun to read. I find my British mysteries do the trick. I couldn't resist jumping in with TANA FRENCH. I'd also recommend Ann Cleeves. And the Jackson Brodie books by Kate Atkinson. But since I've read almost all of the novels by those women, they aren't on my #TBR/ reserved list. And some might not think they're exactly "fun" or light! My definition of fun and light (granted, this is a stretch) is anything that keeps me turning pages and doesn't creep me out so that I can't sleep.

So, everybody, what are you reading right now?

BOOKS for my Corona quarantine

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely fine 
Goodnight, June
Princess Bride
Rachel's Holiday

Evvie Drake Starts Over

Nothing to See Here

Corduroy Mansions

Sookie Stackhouse novels

Goodnight June

Bridge of Clay

Winter Solstice

Walter Moseley. The truth of fiction

Never have I ever. Joslyn Jackson

Joanna Trollope  

if the creek don’t rise.
Peter Swanson

Len Deighton

Blum. What I learned??  (Ron)

Eliz Stroudt. Short stories. Anything is possible

Others by OVE.   (Lyn) 

The good thief
Engineer of beasts
Owl in love

Flight behavior. Audible

Jiles
News of the world(Monika)
Gesture life.

Gift of rain. (Suzanne)

In the garden of beasts. Larson. Before WW2

Gary Paulson. Winter dance

Miss Jane

Recommended books

James Sallis. Drive
Willnot


We love you Charlie Freeman


Almost Famous Women. Short stories

Thunderstruck. Elizabeth McCracken

Cool beautiful world

The Wangs vs the world.

3 comments:

Rosi said...

I second News of the World. It's one of the best books I've ever read. Right now I am reading 96 Miles by J. L. Esplin. It is a survivor story and perfect for this time. I am loving it. I'm also doing a really hard jigsaw puzzle that is helping to keep my mind occupied. Stay well. Thanks for the list.

Carol Baldwin said...

That's quite a list! We are "stuck" in Florida and I didn't bring many books with me. I thought we were only going to be here for 2 weeks! But since NC is shut for a month, looks like we'll be here longer. I'm afraid of running out of books!! (Frustrated because I have so many TBR on my shelf at home. GRRR. but that's minor isn't it? I may have to break down and order some off Amazon. I'll compare your list with my Goodreads TBR list when I do. Stay safe!

zellarelli said...

We seem to have a lot of the same reading tastes. I'm a big fan of both Tana French and Kate Atkinson and have some of the books on your list. Looking forward to checking out some of your recommendations. P.S. Tracy and I are longtime members of the same writer's group. She is a fantastic writer, not to mention an all round excellent person.