Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

First in Line

I don't think I was a particularly competitive child, though others might disagree. But I suspect I liked being first in line on occasion. Playing Line Leader. Telling the rest of the class what to do. OK, bossy. But surely that ended when I was 9 or 10? And now I like to be first to know how a book ends, and how it begins. That's one of the things I love about hearing the UPS guy at the front door. Because often he's got a new book, hot off the press, just waiting for me to read- first!

Yesterday's delivery brought THE LAST CHILD by John Hart. I started it last night and so far, so good, really good. All those brand new pages, just waiting to be turned! Never mind that there are a lot of pages, and I have a deadline, and nobody else I know has read it. In fact, have you heard of John Hart? He's a North Carolina writer, and this is not his first book. But new to me. So I get to be first in line to talk about this one.

4 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

I was actually just reading about this book in Mystery Scene magazine yesterday, and decided that I wanted to add it to my list. Thanks for supplementing the recommendation!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Stayed up way too late reading it last night so think it's going to be a good one. Thanks for your comment. Fun to read all the book recommendations on your own blog! Augusta

Jen Robinson said...

Glad to hear it's working for you. Now all I need is more time to actually read all of the books that I'm interested in... But it certainly beats the alternative (not having so many great books to choose from).

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Yay for NC writers! Hopefully, I'll get to meet John at an upcoming event. (And read his book!)