Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

On Meditation

OK, so my wonderful yoga teacher now has us meditating at the beginning of each class. I'm trying but I don't yet understand meditation. Or I didn't but now I'm beginning to unravel the puzzle. How'd I do it? I opened my copy of Billy Collins' 180 More Extraordinary Poems for Every Day to page 154:

I'm at a day-long meditation retreat, eight hours of watching

my mind with my mind,

and I already fell asleep twice and nearly fell out of my chair,

and it's not even noon yet.

But, of course, by the end of Susan Browne's poem, BUDDHA'S DOGS, which you can read here and you really need to read the entire thing please, she learned something. And I learned something. Or I should say I realized something about meditation. That's what I love about poetry.
I'll read it again, maybe I'll even buy the book, before yoga tomorrow.

1 comment:

ann bushe said...

hi Gusty,
Love this poem about meditation! didn't know you were doing yoga. I am loving yoga!
Ann