Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Sisters

“A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves - a special kind of double.” —Toni Morrison

When I first submitted my about-to-be-published middle grade novel, GLORY BE, I assured my hoped for agent that it was a book about sisters. I still think the story is about Glory and her sister Jeslyn. Of course, now I know it's about sisters and a whole lot more.  But sisters are complicated. And that's why I love this quote. And that's why I still think my book is about sisters.

Here's a picture of my inspiration for my novel. My sister, Jane, and me. Oh, and my brother somehow squeezed in between us. Since he and my sister are twins, he managed to do that a lot.


But it was Jane I remember playing Junk Poker with. Jane I remember those afternoons at the park. Me tormenting her, mostly. My tomboy sister! 

Happy thanksgiving to all my family, and to yours.





 

4 comments:

Selene Castrovilla said...

That's a lovely quote, Augusta - and a lovely sentiment! I wouldn't know about sisters (I'm an only child) - so I look forward to reading your book and learning your take on them!(I realize now that my characters are generally only children, or else they have siblings very different in age, so they wouldn't be close to them. Never thought about that before.)

Augusta Scattergood said...

Interesting observation, re: writing what you know, Selene. Siblings are their own special set of character relationships/ emotions/ conflict. I was definitely the bossy big sis...

Carol Baldwin said...

Sometimes I look in the mirror and I feel like I'm looking at my sister. We're very different, but also alike in some uncanny strange ways. Look forward to reading your book even more!

Mary Ann said...

My sister and I are 9 years apart. No other siblings. So each of us was like an only child. She got married when I was in the 6th grade. We didn't become close until I grew up and was no longer a pest. Some years ago, she gave me a framed cross stitch piece that says "A sister is the best friend you can have." I agree.