Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Writers Most Wanted List: Revision Technique



I was sent a copy of REAL REVISION: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers by the publisher.

There are so many things to love about Kate Messner's terrific new book.

Here's just one tiny thing that I must share:




Words (As in Seen on the Post Office Wall: Most Wanted) we should avoid (like the plague- whoops! We should also avoid overused poetic devises and cliches.)

There's an entire section titled CUT! CUT! CUT!  and this is just a small part, but easy to consider.

In the later stages of revision, have you used these a zillion times too many?

Looked like/ seemed like
Just
And
Rather
Began to
As though
Then
But
Always
Glanced
In that moment
So
A bit
I guess
Maybe
That
Very
Really

1 comment:

Carol Baldwin said...

GREAT LIST. i think i need that book!