Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Maurice Sendak


I met him once, talking to a small group of students when I was at Simmons College studying to become a librarian. Such a funny guy! I still remember the stories he told us.

Where the Wild Things Are was my very first "challenged" book as a young librarian. I was innocent and inexperienced, but I was not about to let that book be removed from my library.



My own children grew up with his illustrations framed in every room of our house! We are quite fond of Mr. Rabbit. Not to mention Little Bear. I could go on forever. A great loss to the book world.

3 comments:

PragmaticMom said...

Good for you for keeping Where the Wild Things Are. I am sad that he's gone too but his work will live on, relevant and beloved forever like the good Dr. Seuss.

Leslie S. Rose said...

My kids loved his book, "A Hole is To Dig." It's great that he was considered a treasure while he was still alive.

Augusta Scattergood said...

Good point, Leslie Rose.

It's not that often that someone is appreciated during his lifetime- and for a long time after.