Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Beginner's Goodbye

The Beginner's GoodbyeThe Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler




Such a nice book to end the summer with.
So many favorite lines, but I particularly loved this:
(Aaron musing about moving into his sister's house)

But if I just showed up with no explanation and asked for my old room back, she would think I was having a nervous breakdown or something. She would turn all motherly and there-there. She would be thrilled.

(the "thrilled" in italics. Perfect.)

Aaron's asides are spot-on. That "bear in mind she was fond of talking" sounded so authentic! Can't you just hear somebody saying that?

I love what one Goodreads reviewer said about the brevity-- 
That some readers had complained about it being too short. 
"So read it twice."

I just may.





View all my reviews

1 comment:

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

I'm a huge fan of Anne Tyler so my heart is picking up speed right now.