Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Research.

Although I left Mississippi for college a few years ago (hahaha), it's where my family is, where my heart is. Home.

Spending a week here for a reason I'll call research is pretty special.

Even if <research> means sitting on the porch listening and talking.
Riding around places I remember but thought I'd forgotten.
Not writing a single thing down.

This weekend I'll spend time listening to authorities speak about things I'm interested in, and I'll take plenty of notes. 
I'll hang out with a friend of my mama's. 
I'll sit in libraries. 
I may even sit under a tree or two.

Last weekend I took a few pictures. 
I'll share so you can enjoy, too.


Sunset over the Mississippi River. That's Arkansas over there.




 Artifacts unearthed and on display. 
From some deep dark filing cabinet, I assume.


Historic marker unveiled on the campus of Delta State University, the site of my first school. My  memories of nursery school include taking a field trip across campus to see the "Science Museum," which consisted of a two-headed lamb and a tapeworm that had been removed during surgery. A very long tapeworm. I'm sure there was more. That's all I remember.



 
 
I have no idea what I'll do with this thought, but it's percolating. 
Historic Jackson.
 
 


 
Not often that I see this much cotton ready to be picked.
I remember when the fields were full of it though.
Quite beautiful. Even if the stories may not be so beautiful.
 
 
 
 
Know what I mean?






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah....we know what you mean.

Eileen in Atlanta

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

The best kind of research!

I enjoyed driving by some cotton fields recently. They are becoming quite scarce, it seems.

Carol Baldwin said...

Yes-- I do! Research is such an important part of the process--I just have to be careful it doesn't take over!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Though I love the research part, I'm also savoring the pre-writing, thinking part. Even if I never have another idea, at least I'll have enjoyed talking and visiting with my friends, right?
Thanks for your comments, Eileen, Carol and Joyce!

Rosi said...

Ah, so you CAN go home again. Enjoy your time there. It looks like a lovely place.