Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, February 6, 2015

Anne Tyler

Has a new book coming. What an absolutely gorgeous cover!




CLICK RIGHT HERE to read a super interview and essay from the Wall Street Journal about her and her writing.

Love this:

She treats her creativity as a leap of faith. She won’t read her reviews, worried that, good or bad, they will interfere with her work. Over her desk, where she writes novels in longhand, she keeps a quote from the poet Richard Wilbur, which reads in part: “Step off assuredly into the blank of your mind. Something will come to you.”



You might also like:

This, about her writing. 

And an Anne Tyler quote, from one of my very earliest posts:

"All really satisfying stories, I believe, can generally be described as spend-thrift... A spendthrift story has a strange way of seeming bigger than the sum of its parts; it is stuffed full; it gives the sense of possessing further information that could be divulged if called for."

3 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Agreed about the cover and the quote. I've often thought of my beginning to write fiction as a blind leap of faith. Glad I'm not the only one!

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Ah, I am an Anne Tyler fan. And yeah - that is a fabulous cover Thanks for the link, Augusta!

Augusta Scattergood said...

I'm excited to read this one. Soon!