Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My Winter so far

I promise, people of the Frozen North, 
no pictures of sunshine and sand.

I spent a longer-than-planned weekend in Chicago. My first visit to the American Library Association's Midwinter Conference as a writer!




One of my very first school visits to celebrate THE WAY TO STAY IN DESTINY. The Gombert Elementary School, hosted by the great Anderson's Bookshop. I spoke at two schools but alas, my wonderful photographer and I mostly got pictures at one.




 Signing books. Their school mascot is the Gator. I felt right at home.




 

At the first school, Puffer Elementary in Downer's Grove, I noticed a wall filled with Dots!


A break between schools.
Time to rest and relax at the Naperville Public Library.
 This was at the check-out desk.




                        Something I have never seen in my many school visits in Florida.






A day at the Chicago Art Institute with my friend Patty. Fascinating library!





And then it started to snow. And snow. And snow. I was warm and cozy inside my hotel.





We ate some amazing food. A lot of amazing food.




AND I got to hear the announcements of all the ALA awards. A highlight of the weekend.


Thank you, Scholastic for inviting me to be a part of that terrific event!








PS: I love the signature on my Anderson's Book Fair contact's emails. So true, right?

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."  ~Dr. Seuss 

1 comment:

Margaret Simon said...

My daughter lives in Chicago. She had to dig her car out from under all that snow. Crazy, huh? We southerners just don't know. I followed the ALA announcements, too. I'm home for Mardi Gras break and going to Destiny today.