Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, April 29, 2013

The Big R: REVISION

Of course, you can't revise a story until you have written it. I won't bore you with how I struggle with plotting. Because this week, I'm knee deep into revision. Hooray!

Just this once, I won't sing the praises of my beloved SCRIVENER software which makes revision kind of fun. Heck, it makes writing fun some of the time.

(Nothing makes the Bad First Draft fun, but those SFDs have to be written before you can get to the best part - for me: Revising!)


(The GLORY BE notebooks and the revisions I printed. Many others never made it off my computer.)

I love to revise by SHRINKING my manuscript, a la Darcy Pattison. Click right there!

Do this shrinking thing, and you'll look at your story a whole new way. I promise.

Yes, I know I may sound like a broken record, but for my money, you can't do better than going right over to Barbara O'Connor's blog and type REVISION into the search box. Before you're done, you'll have a whole new outlook on the subject. 

Here's just one that I particularly love because it's exactly how I feel about revising.

http://greetings-from-nowhere.blogspot.com/2011/07/lesson-from-dead-matter.html 

And this, for your reading pleasure- and it was kind of fun to remember the great scenes from Casablanca!- click below to read the interesting and helpful (to me) reminders about plotting and revision.

http://critiquesisterscorner.blogspot.com/2012/12/three-great-scenes-and-no-weak-ones.html?m=1

I'd love to hear more. Any great tips to share?


Related posts: Shrinking a manuscript.
A word about Editing.



4 comments:

Lisa J. Michaels said...

YAHHHHHHH! I just read the news that you WON the Crystal Kite Award!!! I'm excited BEYOND words!

BIG congrats to you Augusta! You earned it baby!!

PragmaticMom said...

Sending this to my friend who is almost ready to send her first book out to try to get an agent.

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

I do the *shrink* thing too! LOL!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, Lisa. I'm still pinching myself!

I love the Shrink Thing! It totally works for me.