Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Elizabeth George

My go-to recreational, grownup reading!

I read her latest as a NetGalley eBook and loved it. And now BELIEVING THE LIE is all over the bookstores. Just out in paperback.
Barbara Havers' role in this new novel is both funny and poignant. Great character.

And guess what? A new Inspector Lynley book is coming in October.
Check out HER WEBSITE for all sorts of goodies.

If you haven't read George's novels, try hard to start at the beginning. You don't want to miss a thing.



Click here for an interview with the author. 

A few highlights:
"I have always been fascinated with abhorrent behavior."
"I like to write what I like to read."

That's me! Not the abhorrent behavior, but the what-I-like-to-read. Though I don't think I could ever write a true mystery. All that plotting. Yikes.

If you're interested in Elizabeth George, detective fiction, mysteries, psychological thrillers, or just plain good writing, be sure to listen to the end of that interview for what she says about humility.

May I also recommend her truly helpful book on writing craft: WRITE AWAY. 

Click here for excerpts, including the chapter on plotting

And here's another blogger reporting in on Elizabeth George's writing process. Fascinating, of course.
http://critiquesisterscorner.blogspot.com/2013/07/elizabeth-georges-writing-process-from.html

Excuse me while I click off and think long and hard on her plotting suggestions. Will they work for you? I do love thinking about characters and place before action!

No comments: