Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Today's Rediscovery: Judy Freeman


Yes, I know. I stepped away from my fabulous school library career over a decade ago.
But I saved a whole lot of files.
This week, I've been clearing them out. Buying newer, nicer folders to fill up with more stuff.
(Pictured, file folders from The Container Store. Love that place.)



But still, there are some things I can't bear to toss.

Like some of the handouts from the Amazing Judy Freeman Workshops.
(I added that Amazing.)


WINNERS.
The Best New Books and How to Use Them.
Taught by Judy.
I think she still does it. I no longer have an excuse to sign up.

Here are a few tidbits, not always entirely about the best books of the year. I brought home such gems from that workshop!

1. There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

2. The name for Oz in the Wizard of Oz was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw and A-N, and O-Z. Hence, Oz.

3. The longest one-syllable word in the English language is SCREECHED.

(Man, I've used that one in writing, for sure.)

4. The word SET has more definitions than any other word in the English language.

I could go on and on. Maybe I will in another post, on another day. Check back.
Who knows what treasures I'll find in these file cabinets.
Maybe a name for a character.


Here's Judy's website:
http://www.judyreadsbooks.com/

No comments: