Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Writing Advice via Meg Cabot



While I was googling Meg Cabot to get a link to share, I happened upon this very basic How To Write a Book blogpost. 
From ages ago, in website years. 
But most of her tips hold up quite well!
And she's funny, of course.
For example:

But one thing you should NOT do is say to a writer, “I don't know how you find the time to write. I just have too many friends and social engagements ever to get around to it.” Because that is basically calling the writer a giant loser with no friends.
Please don't do this. Thank you.
10. If you have made the time to sit down and complete your novel, you are 100% ahead of most people out there. Pat yourself on the back.


Interestingly, oddly, one bit of advice is to know the ending of your story before you start to write it. I think that's good advice. Generally.
Though of course, whether you like it or not, that ending may change along the way. Sorry to tell you that.

(And thanks to Joyce and Carol, two Facebook writer friends, for sharing this great quote.)

No comments: