Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

As promised. More Book Reviews

BloodrootBloodroot by Amy Greene




In anticipation of a January paperback release, the publisher sent a copy of this story set in Appalachia. Having nothing to read on a trip, I grabbed it up, hoping for the best, but I was worried. There's nothing worse than being stuck on an airplane with a dull book. I needn't have worried.  It was the best, and more.



Different characters, spanning generations, interweave their stories in such distinct voices that the novel just sings. For example, here's Byrdie whose granddaughter Clio has her worrying about the company she keeps: "I reckon nary one of them has ever set foot in a church house, but they sure do spend plenty of time in the jailhouse."

Now, that one line just says so much.



This is Amy Greene's first novel. I can't wait to read her next. Great book.



View all my reviews

No comments: