Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What a treat.

Ah, the marvels of technology. I'm in sunny Florida. They're in snowy Maine.
Skyping really is such fun.
Just talked to a big group of 4th and 5th graders, an afterschool Book Club.
This is such a treat for a former librarian. 
They had some amazing, unusual questions about GLORY BE.

For example:

Which character is most like me?

Which character do I like the best?
Where'd I get my characters' names? Did any of them change over the editing?
(I'm telling you, these kids are smart!)

Will I always write historical fiction or do I plan to try another genre?
(Wish I knew the answer.)

 Who's my favorite writer?
They knew them all!  Cynthia Lord, Barbara O'Connor, Katherine Paterson- (I had to stop somewhere...)

So I asked that questioner who her favorite writer was. She thought a minute, then answered "Sharon Creech." When I told her I'd recently read The Great Unexpected, she said "Love that Dog was the first chapter book I ever read."

Isn't it amazing what kids remember about books?

Great great school librarians= enthusiastic readers.
Such fun sharing.

(I'm trying now to remember the first chapter book I ever read. I doubt it was as fun or as distinguished as Love That Dog. Who remembers the first book you ever read, all on your own, not an easy reader?)



http://beta.skype.com/en/

4 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Lovely post. Great class and questions!

PragmaticMom said...

What fun! I'm glad you are having such a great time touring!

Anonymous said...

I was part of that class!

Augusta Scattergood said...

Skype could be one of my favorite parts about writing a book!