Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Advice for Life?

This weekend I wrote two things in the notebook I keep close by my side. One was from the newspaper, a quote from Roy Williams just before the ACC Basketball Conference got under way. With one important player out for the conference with an injury, Roy wrote on the bulletin board in the Tarheel locker room: FIND A WAY.

OK, we didn't exactly find that way to the ACC finals, but it's a good way to look at life. Kind of when the going gets tough, the tough get going way to proceed. And the UNC players almost found a way to pull it off. I'm thinking they will figure it out for the NCAAs. Then again, I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to UNC Tarheel basketball teams.

The second scribble in the notebook was overheard today at an art festival. A festival-goer asked one of the artists if she believed "just anybody" could learn to paint. It's not about the painting, the artist said. "You have to LEARN TO SEE." I think artists- whether they are painters, musicians, writers or whatever-- look at things differently. And I was happy to hear the painter tell the patron that it's possible to learn how to view the world like an artist. Gives me hope. I'm working on that learning to see thing. Not to mention finding a way.

No comments: