Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Depression Food

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed all the tips and tricks out there for saving money while preparing delish, sort of, food. (Though I'm not sure Chicken Fried Steak--we always called it Country Fried Steak in my childhood kitchen-- is going on my dinner menu tonight.) But since I love reading and writing about food even more than I do cooking it, this story in today's St. Petersburg Times about cooking on Utube caught my eye.

I especially love the Depression Cooking videos with Clara. Click that link to watch a few. What a great story about sitting at her aunt's house, listening to her read aloud to the family. Kind of makes you long for that era, doesn't it. Rice and beans, Italian bread, salad- and the rare treat- beef. Yum. Clara makes it look like a gourmet meal. Well, at least the story's good and Clara's telling of it even better.


No comments: