Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Plotting, Structuring, Figuring it All Out

I think writing is hard work. Writing fiction is really hard work. I may give it up any day now. But before I do, I'm figuring it out. So I've been spending time reading Helen Hemphill's checklists over at Through the Tollbooth. Trying to put her plotting tips into action. Because I know how smart she is and how good her books are.

And yesterday I ran across this by James Scott Bell, on one of those many writing emails I frequently delete. The Q-Factor! How brilliant. Sneak your tricks in before you need them. Don't wait till you actually need the cufflink that turns into a saw to show your character wearing it.
Bell knows how to explain things so well that most everybody will get it.

3 comments:

Lisa J. Michaels said...

Your darn tootin' it's hard work! If it wasn't, I don't think I'd be interested. The truth is, I've never been one to dive into things that everyone else finds easy....where's the challenge in that?

There are people who think writing is simple. The slush pile grows daily as a result of their half-hearted efforts.

Those of us who hit the "delete" button more often than "save", are well aware of the havoc such fools have created on the industry of late.

Because of thier stupidity, writers who agonize over every word and struggle to "measure up" to their mentors are forced to wait, while frustrated editors sift through the garbage that's been piling up since the affordibility of the home pc.

The industry has changed, and serious writers must adapt. You know you are moving in the right direction by the mere fact that you have a blog!

The game is on my friend. Years ago, it was all about brilliant writing. Today it's also about building connections and your ability to self promote. It's about fearlessly forcing yourself to keep up with rapily expanding technology. It's about rising above the swell of acceptable mediocrity by refusing to back down.

You've got what it takes Augusta. Don't let your disappointment in the current trend knock you off the track. When the train arrives at the station, you'll be one of the few who successfully completed the journey with your dignity it tact!

Anonymous said...

Augusta: Writing is hard work! The joy is in the process...getting better, working smarter, figuring it out. Thanks for the good words, girl. I appreciate you and your process...and I don't doubt for a minute that you're the real deal. Lisa is right on the mark! Helen

Augusta Scattergood said...

Thanks, ladies. I'll plug away, using all my friends and resources. A.