Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sometimes you can judge a Book by its Cover..

I love book cover art. Love to think about how it draws kids to books. What it says about the story, before I even turn the first page. When I was a children's librarian, I often got requests for "that book with the ferris wheel on the cover. You know, the blue one." (Ann Martin's A Corner of the Universe). Or "that dog book, I think the cover's yellow and the dog is squiggly." (Love That Dog by Sharon Creech, a personal favorite of mine.)


So this quote from an article in Publishers Weekly Children's Bookshelf about a reunion of employees of Eeyore's, the late great children's bookstore in New York, really makes sense to me.
Not to mention, I adored Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Brian Selznick, who used to paint the windows of the West Side Eeyore’s every month, brought along a portfolio of all of his amazing window creations. Brian said he thinks about those windows every time he does a book cover. “Book covers, like the windows, have to look good from far away, from close up, and have to make you want to open the door or the book, as the case may be.”

No comments: