Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

You Didn't Mess With Flannery..

Over on the Southern writers blog I'm a part of, the question of the month is about inspiration. Now I don't know many of these writers I share that blog with, but frequently when I stop by, I find somebody new I'd like to read more of.

The July 9th post by Man Martin is filled with much food for thought. And some funny quotes and stories about famous writers and exactly what they thought about inspiration. Click on over there to read his whole post. My favorite?

Flannery O’Connor would sit on her front porch tapping away at her manual typewriter several hours every morning. If someone came during her writing time, she would just ignore him. He would be able to see her there, just behind the screen, but though he knocked and pounded and shouted, “Yoo-hoo, Flannery!” she would just keep typing.

You think if I could just ignore the world, the birds (she kept peacocks for Goodness sakes!), the distractions, I could write even one short story like O'Connor dreamed up?

1 comment:

Lee Stokes Hilton said...

While I loved the bit about Flannery O'Connor, I thought he went on way too long. I found myself scanning for a topic sentence in the paragraphs and then skipping to the next. I like the brevity of yours better.