Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Claudette Colvin

My review of this award-winning book is posted today on writer Joyce Moyer Hostetter's Reading, 'Riting & Research history blog. I liked a lot (I liked everything really) about the book, but I especially appreciated the way the book was laid out with lots of easy-to-read sidebars, great photos and facsimiles from the time of the Montogomery Bus Boycott. Movie (or as they were called in South of the 50s and 60s- Picture Show) tickets that cost 25¢ each. Actual newspaper pages reporting the events of the times. And the first-person narration from Claudette Colvin, who was a mostly forgotten player in one of the biggest stories of the Civil Rights movement.

Be sure to scroll down to Friday's post and watch the book trailer posted on the history blog. Hear author Phillip Hoose talk about his discovery of the story and see their National Book Award acceptance. Two videos, both well worth watching.


No comments: