Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What to Read Now?

As if I didn't have a stack of books waiting for me...
But these Independent Bookstore best-selling lists always have something that surprises me.
For example, Elegance of the Hedgehog? Still hanging in there? (sitting by my bedside, awaiting completion. Oh, dear!)

Here's the latest trade paperback list, which is all I need for summer reading:

TRADE PAPERBACK FICTION
1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson, Vintage
2. The Girl Who Played With Fire, by Stieg Larsson, Vintage
3. Little Bee, by Chris Cleave, S&S
4. Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese, Vintage
5. Tinkers, by Paul Harding, Bellevue Literary Press
6. That Old Cape Magic, by Richard Russo, Vintage
7. The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein, Harper
8. Let the Great World Spin, by Colum McCann, Random House
9. A Reliable Wife, by Robert Goolrick, Algonquin
10. South of Broad, by Pat Conroy, Dial
11. The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery, Europa Editions
12. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford, Ballantine
13. Sarah's Key, by Tatiana De Rosnay, St. Martin's Griffin
14. Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout, Random House
15. Last Night in Twisted River, by John Irving, Ballantine
ON THE RISE:
20. An Echo in the Bone, by Diana Gabaldon, Bantam
Gabaldon's bestselling Outlander novel is now available in paperback.

TRADE PAPERBACK NONFICTION
1. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, Penguin
2. Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers, Vintage
3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, by Rhoda Janzen, Holt
4. Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson, David Oliver Relin, Penguin
5. Food Rules, by Michael Pollan, Penguin
6. Half the Sky, by Nicholas D. Kristof, Sheryl WuDunn, Vintage
7. Strength in What Remains, by Tracy Kidder, Random House
8. Shop Class as Soulcraft, by Matthew B. Crawford, Penguin
9. Manhood for Amateurs, by Michael Chabon, Harper Perennial
10. The Lost City of Z, by David Grann, Vintage
11. The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls, Scribner
12. The Road to Serfdom, by Friedrich A.Von Hayek, University of Chicago Press
13. Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea, by Chelsea Handler, Simon Spotlight
14. The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan, Penguin
15. The Black Swan, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Random House
ON THE RISE:
17. I'm Down: A Memoir, by Mishna Wolff, St. Martin's Griffin
Wolff's winning memoir of her father, a white man who truly believed he was black.

3 comments:

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

I've been wanting to read Elegance of the Hedgehog ever since hearing an interview on Diane Rehm - maybe a year ago. Or last fall?

Read Mennonite In A Little Black Dress. I really UNLIKE that book. But then I'm a Mennonite who just couldn't relate.

I doubt I'll read many on these list. Would love to except that tehre is all that juvenile fiction to keep after. And I'm doing poorly at that.

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

I've been wanting to read The Elegance of a Hedgehog ever since I heard a discussion of it on Diane Rehm show last year.

I UNLIKE Mennonite in a Little Black Dress for various reasons. Maybe I am just too much of a Menno who didn't relate! If you read it do let me know what you think.

Augusta Scattergood said...

OK, blogger's having another blip and publishing comments twice! Which of course I should have caught but didn't.
I heard the author of Mennonite in a Little Black Dress the other day on the radio and wondered about that book!
Thanks for your comments!