Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

SCBWI- LA

If those words don't ring a bell and you'd like to know more about writing for children, you are missing a big piece of the puzzle. SCBWI= Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. Each August they hold their national conference in Los Angeles. In the dead of winter, it's in NYC. Each region has terrific events also. This winter in Orlando, the Florida group will gather. (Now you know you'd rather be in Florida in the dead of winter, right?)

Here's a sample of what went on in L.A. this month, notes from a workshop about writing middle grade novels, by Newbery Award winner Linda Sue Park.

And here's a quote from that writer. I've seen it floating around cyberspace, in one form or another. Since I wasn't at the conference and I can't verify which version she actually said. I give you this one for your consideration:

The great mission of middle grade novels is to show young people that the world isn’t fair, but that doesn’t mean it has to be miserable.

I'm still thinking on that one. There's a lot of wisdom in some of what Park says about writing, so click on over to that blog link up there and check it out.

No comments: