Books -- reading and writing.
Home, cooking, the weather.
And whatever connections I can make between these chapters of my life.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Reading All Day... but first a writing tip

Today I promised myself to read, all day long. I meant books. Catching up with that pile that's gotten away from me this summer.  This is what I was looking forward to:

G. Neri's GHETTO COWBOY, sent to me by the publisher. FRIENDSHIP DOLL by Kirby Larson, also sent by publisher. A book I'm reviewing for Delta Magazine which is turning out to be quite fun: YANKEE DOODLE DIXIE. And Franny Billingsly's CHIME, from the library, renewed once already, loving it but need to finish.

Then I got distracted by reading Cheryl Klein's Brooklyn Arden blog.  I'm filing this on a stickie note for next week, when I promise myself to write all day long.  In the words of Ray Bradbury (via Cheryl), in answer to a question about discovering the middle of your story,  

“Find out what your hero or heroine wants, and when he or she wakes up in the morning, just follow him or her all day.” 

It's getting late. The books still sit on my deck, waiting. But we've washed windows and I've been to the grocery store and of course I had to share via my blog. 

Now, off to read.  
Hope your weekend is book and fun-filled! Happy July 4th, everybody.

1 comment:

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

My character is about to think I am her annoying younger sister because I am right on her heels. Seriously trying to figure out what she is up to!